Sunday, November 12, 2023

Week 43 - Light, Supermarket Debate & Saint Francis

I've thought a lot about LIGHT in the last couple of weeks.  It all started with my workout routine.  Every morning, I go down to the work out room, a simple room with what seems to be a 20 yr old treadmill, 30 yr old stationary bike, various weights, etc.  But, it does the trick.  Better than not having anything at all for sure!! 

While on the treadmill, I face a large plate glass window that "looks" (albeit through a glass darkly) into the the front lobby area of our building.  The middle 50% is frosted, with the top and bottom quarters being clear glass.  The name of our apartment building "Beaufort Ridge" is within this frosted area, with the letters etched out, showing a small amount of clear glass.  Through the small slits of the letters and clear glass, I can see the morning sun shining brightly on the tiles of the floor in the lobby.  

One day, I realized how fast the light was changing and moving across the tiles.  I was so intrigued, I planted myself and phone firmly in the same spot on the treadmill so I could capture 2 pictures within the same minute and see if there was any visable difference.  Indeed, as you can see by the pictures below that were both taken within the same 60 seconds, the light has moved a full letter.  I was shocked.  As I stared intently at the light, I almost thought I could see it move.  But actually, it was only when I glanced at the original starting point memorized in my head, that I could visually see the light had moved. 

                                                 



The Sun is magnificent!  For all intents and purposes, it appears to us that the Sun rises or disappears above or below the horizon and circles the Earth.  However, it is the Earth that rotates, with the Sun remaining in a fixed position.  

The speed of light is supposed to be the most constant, unvarying quantity in the universe!  "According to physicist Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity, on which much of modern physics is based, nothing in the universe can travel faster than light."

LIGHT AND TRUTH - Elder Theodore M. Burton - April 1981  

"Through modern revelation we have been taught that 'the glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.' Such light and truth forsake the evil one. (D&C 93:36–37)  We have been advised that if our eye be single to the glory of God, our whole body shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in us, for a body which is filled with God’s light will be able to comprehend all things. (D&C 88:67).  God’s light includes the physical light we see, which makes us feel so warm and comfortable. God’s light is also the power to understand and comprehend all things. In other words, all kinds of light are related to intelligence and truth."

I'm so grateful to have LIGHT and TRUTH in my life.  Jesus Christ is truly the Light and Truth we can have as a constant in this sometimes crazy World!  

I recognize my human and limited ability to stay connected to the light 24/7.  I also realize that the more I focus on the Light, on serving my Savior, the faster light will come into my life.  And that light is amazing!

There are many analogies that can be drawn from this example.  I would love to hear your thoughts!!

SUPERMARKET DEBATE

I was approached in the supermarket the other day by a man named Steven from New Zealand.  He asked my name and we exchanged conversation about why we each found ourselves here in a foreign country.  At Steven's lead, the conversation quickly turned to religion.  For the next 20 minutes, Steven wanted to convince me why I was being led astray in my Church and why I shouldn't teach what I believe because I was also leading others astray.  I found myself not wanting to debate religion but to only bear testimony of simple truths, of God's love, of my love for the people here in Ghana.  After what seemed like an eternity, I wished him well and reminded him that we both loved the same God.

All in all, what I wish I would have said much sooner in the conversation was this:  "We both love the same God!  God loves us!!  Let's not debate.  Let's just live our lives worthy to represent Him well and be His hands on earth, helping and loving others!"

SAINT FRANCIS

Saint Francis of Assisi grew up wealthy in the small town of Assisi, Italy. Despite the anger it brought his father, Saint Francis took a vow of poverty after receiving multiple visions from God, where in one of which God told him to "repair my church, which is falling in ruins." Saint Francis soon established the Franciscan Order where he and his followers sought to live out the gospel in a literal way. He is known for his love of nature and animals, his strong commitment to both physical and spiritual poverty, and for receiving the stigmata (marks resembling the wounds on the crucified body of Jesus Christ). See the quotes below for further inspiration from Saint Francis of Assisi's life:

“Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.”
“For it is in giving that we receive.” 
“Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received--only what you have given.”
“I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, He can work through anyone.” 
“Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love...” (The Peace Prayer)
“Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.”
"The deeds you do may be the only sermon some persons will hear today."
"The only thing ever achieved in life without effort is failure."
"Do few things but do them well, simple joys are holy."
“A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weeks 72 & 73 - MH Day & 33 Days

A couple of weeks ago I had a unique experience. Me and some other sisters took a little field trip to watch Bernice and her husband Prince ...